Everything You Need to Know

ETEA has everything you need to get the most out of your study, with modern and fully-equipped locations with excellent libraries, lecture theatres and training facilities to help you get job ready.

Although we want to make sure you enjoy it too. To ensure you make the most of your experience here at ETEA, please find some helpful information to guide you through your study journey, such as the pre-departure checklist, support services, and an events hub to make sure you don’t miss a minute of action happening at your campus.

Before You Depart
ETEA Student Visa
Living in Australia
Living in Australia
ETEA Student Support
ETEA Forms

Plan your Departure


Once you have been accepted to study at an institution and have received confirmation of your student visa, the next step is to start planning for your arrival.

Here is a checklist to help you plan your departure:


  • Passport and Visa – Check that your passport is valid for at least 6 months prior to your entry arrival in Australia, and that you have all your visa documentation. It is also a good idea to make copies of your passport in case you lose your
  • Student enrolment and orientation documents – You will need your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (ECoE) and student information pack, which you will have received from your
  • Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) – This is a requirement for entry to Australia, so make sure you have your health cover policy arranged before you leave
  • Travel Insurance – You should also consider travel insurance, which covers things your OSHC may not

– such as cancelled flights, lost documents, dental or optical care, etc.

  • Airfares – Make sure you are aware of the date and time of your flight. Keep your flight details in a safe and secure place, with your passport and
  • Contact details – You may want to have a list of emergency contact details for family, as well as your embassy, accommodation and institution If you have used an education agent, keep their contact details on you, in case you need to contact them once you arrive in Australia.
  • Australian currency – There are money exchange places available at Australian airports and in cities, but it is recommended to have some Australian currency on you prior to leaving your home
  • Transport from the airport – Whether you are taking public transport, a taxi, or you are being picked up from the airport by your education provider, it is important that you have all the details including the time, the route and, if your travel has been arranged by your institution, their contact If you need a map to assist you in getting to your accommodation from the airport, they will be available at the airport, or you can print one prior to leaving.
  • Accommodation details – Make sure you have the address of where you will be staying as well as their phone number and payment confirmation (if you have already paid for your accommodation).


Australian Customs and Quarantine

Once you have your luggage you will go through Customs. Be careful about what you bring into Australia. Some items you might bring from overseas can carry pests and diseases that Australia doesn’t have. You must declare ALL food, meat, fruit, plants, seeds, wooden souvenirs, animal or plant materials or their derivatives.

Australia has strict quarantine laws and tough on-the-spot fines. Every piece of luggage is now screened or x- rayed by quarantine officers, detector dog teams and x-ray machines. If you fail to declare or dispose of any quarantine items, or make a false declaration, you will get caught. In addition to on-the-spot fines, you could be prosecuted and fined more than AU$60,000 and risk 10 years in prison. All international mail is also screened.

Some products may require treatment to make them safe. Items that are restricted because of the risk of pests and disease will be seized and destroyed by the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service (AQIS).

For more detailed information about bringing in food, animals, plants, animal or plant materials or their derivatives visit

Airport Arrivals

You will be able to leave the restricted area and enter the Arrivals Hall once you have cleared Customs. Here you will find a number of retail and food outlets along with public telephones, an information booth and money exchange facilities. If you arrive on a weekend, you may like to exchange money here as most banks are not open on Saturdays and Sundays


If you would like to bring your children to Australia with you, you must be aware of the following schooling issues:

  1. It is an immigration policy that school-age dependents of international students undertake formal schooling while they are in Australia.
  2. Children who have their fifth birthday before 1st April of that calendar year are eligible to start
  3. You will need to provisionally enrol your child in a school before you leave your home country and you will normally have to pay the school fees one semester in advance. The school will issue an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment Form (ECoE) stating the program and its duration, so that you can obtain the appropriate visa for your
  4. The Diplomatic Mission in your country can tell you which State schools are registered to take international students. Fees are payable by international students at all State schools unless you:
    • Are in receipt of sponsorship or scholarships from the Australian Government (e.g. the Australian Development Scholarship, IPRS);
    • Hold a higher institution or approved non-government scholarship. These scholarships must be approved by the State government for the dependents to be exempt from school
  5. You will be responsible for school fees and other costs including school uniforms, books, excursions and stationery.
  6. When choosing the most appropriate school for your child, it is best to ask questions about the school’s curriculum, size, extra-curricular activities and the size of individual
  7. You should also take into consideration the distance from the school to the college, the suburb in which you intend to live and the method of transport you plan to use.

For further information, please contact Student Support Officer.


ETEA ensures that all students are given support while studying in Australia. This support includes both academic support and personal support and the following procedures ensure that students are made aware of the support available. ETEA will also conduct an orientation program for all new students The Student Support Officer, at the relevant Campus, is the first point of contact for queries regarding a broad range of matters pertaining to the social, financial, personal and academic well-being of all students.

Whilst all staff employed by ETEA has the responsibility to provide support to all students, ETEA shall nominate a Student Support Officer, at each Campus, who shall be available to all students at that Campus, on an appointment basis, through the standard hours of business.

ETEA will provide students with contact details to refer any matters that require further follow up. Any referrals are conducted by ETEA at no cost to the student but fees and charges may apply where an external service is used by the student and this should be clarified by the student prior to using such services outside of ETEA.

The assigned student support staff members are:

  • Student Support Officers:
    • Rajni Sharma – Heidelberg VIC
    • Rubal Jandu –Bankstown NSW
    • Sharon Taylor – Canningvale WA
    • Rebecca O’Sullivan – Adelaide. SA

Students can access the student support officer directly or via student administrations and an appointment will be organised as soon as practicable.



Orientation program


The orientation program provides culturally appropriate information about:

  • Support services available to assist overseas students to help them adjust to study and life in Australia
  • English language and study assistance programs offered by the Institute
  • Contact number, name and location of emergency, legal, personal/social, medical support, accommodation
  • the registered provider’s facilities and resources
  • complaints and appeals processes
  • requirements for course attendance and course progress
  • the support services available to assist students with general or personal circumstances that are adversely affecting their education in Australia
  • services students can access for information on their employment rights and conditions, and how to resolve workplace issues, such as through the Fair Work

Learning Support / Study Support

We have specialized learning support teachers on hand to help students if they are having difficulties with study. Learning support teachers can assist a student in classroom or work in small groups with the student and can help with time management, making presentations and to improve general study skills.

Our study support program provides students with a range of support, information and referral services to facilitate academic and personal development as an independent, self-directing adult student.

ETEA places a strong emphasis on the provision of individual and small group tutorial assistance in:

  • Study skills
  • Examination techniques
  • Time and stress management
  • Assessment presentation and writing skills

If a trainer has identified that a student needs additional study support, the student may also be referred to the Training Manager at the relevant Campus.

Student with special needs

If you have special needs requiring support in the training and assessment process, you should, in the first instance, contact the Student Support Officer who will in turn liaise with the Training Manager as required.

Such needs may arise from:

  • A physical or learning disability
  • Religious or cultural background
  • Language background other than English

In the case of a physical or learning disability, you should indicate this at the time of making an application to ETEA and provide documented evidence of any health condition that may impact on your ability to study.

in all cases of special needs, ETEA is able to offer reasonable adjustment to training and assessment materials or processes to offer students the opportunity of achieving a successful outcome. Such reasonable adjustment which entails modifications to training and assessment materials and processes does not alter the original purpose and intention of training and assessment materials, tools and procedures.



Academic issues

Students may have concerns with their academic performance or other related issues that are placing them at risk of not achieving the requirements of their course. ETEA will attempt to give students advice and support so the student may be able to maintain appropriate academic levels, and achieve satisfactory results in their studies.

Students’ course progress is monitored and an Intervention Strategy process is implemented where unsatisfactory course progress is identified.

A student is able to access the student support officer at the relevant Campus to discuss any academic or other issues in respect to studying at ETEA. The student support officer will be able to provide advice and guidance, or referral, where required.



Personal / Social issues

There are many issues that may affect a student’s social or personal life and students have access to the support officer to gain advice and guidance on personal issues, accommodation issues, or family / friend issues. Where the Student Support Officer feels further support should be gained, a referral to an appropriate support service will be organised.



Counselling/ Student Support

ETEA provides counselling and personalised services that are available to all students. Counselling focuses on student needs and will assist students in solving problems, developing new skills in personal and educational contexts and resolving issues. Counselling can also assist with interpersonal relationships and family and social problems.

Confidential student counselling is available from the Student Support, at the relevant Campus, for any reason including:

  • Loneliness or homesickness
  • Personal relationships
  • Academic issues
  • Accommodation difficulties
  • Personal trauma, including harassment and discrimination
  • Concerns regarding friends and families
  • Personal health; and
  • Legal

If unable to assist personally, the Student Support Officer will refer students to external professionals who may be better equipped to assist and guide with respect to particular problems. Please note that professional consultation fees might apply in these circumstances.



The Overseas Students Ombudsman

The Overseas Students Ombudsman investigates complaints about problems that overseas students have with private education and training in Australia.

The Ombudsman also provides information about best practice complaints handling to help private education providers manage internal complaints effectively.

Publishes reports on problems and broader issues in international education that they identify through investigations. For Further information:


Overseas Students Ombudsman
Contact Number 1300 362 072



Social Programs

Apart from the Student Orientation Program, the Student Support Officer will occasionally organise social events that allow all students enrolled with ETEA to mingle and socialise. These events may range from cultural and sightseeing events, to dinners, excursions and sporting events. They will be organised as demand requires and any suggestions can be forwarded to the Student Support Officer at the relevant Campus.



Student welfare and safety

ETEA takes all reasonable steps to provide a safe environment on campus and advise overseas students and staff on actions they can take to enhance their personal security and safety. Students are informed about safety measures during the orientation program. ETEA’s website provides general safety tips for all students and emergency contact numbers.

Visa Conditions

If students are granted a visa, they must abide by its conditions. Failure to comply with these conditions could result in the cancellation of their visa. These conditions include (but are not limited to):

  • Complete the course within the duration specific in the CoE
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress
  • Maintain approved Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) while in Australia
  • Remain with the principal education provider for 6 calendar months, unless being issued a letter of release from the provider to attend another institution
  • Notify the training provider of their Australian address and any subsequent changes of address within 7

For a full list of mandatory and discretionary student visa conditions, please visit: and search for “student visa conditions”.

You can pay by credit card through our online payment system or through our bank details below:


Bank Transfer Details:

Bank Name: ANZ
BSB: 013 313
Account Number: 3512 80374
Swfit Code: ANZBAU3M