Important Information You Need to Know
ETEA has everything you need to get the most out of your study, with modern and fully-equipped locations with excellent libraries, lecture theatres and training facilities to help you get job ready.
Although we want to make sure you enjoy it too. To ensure you make the most of your experience here at ETEA, please find some helpful information to guide you through your study journey, such as the pre-departure checklist, support services, and an events hub to make sure you don’t miss a minute of action happening at your campus.
In order to apply to study at ETEA, all potential students are required to complete an application form and to submit it to ETEA along with other certified documents.
Should you have any problems, questions, please feel free to Contact us.
We have collected together some useful links for you.
A key amendment of the ESOS Amendment Act (new subsection 21A) requires all providers on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) to maintain a list of all persons, whether within or outside Australia, who represent or act on their behalf in dealing with overseas students or intending overseas students The following list is consistent with Standard 4 of the ESOS National Code 2007 listing only those education agents with whom ETEA has a formal written agreement
Relevant government legislation
It is to the advantage of students to be familiar with the relevant government legislation. The latest versions can be sourced from the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal web site at: www.vcat.vic.gov.au or from other relevant government websites:
- Privacy Act 1988
- Equal Opportunity Act 1995
- Fair Trading Act 1999
- Racial and Religious Tolerance Act 2001
- Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004
- Vocational Education and Training Act 1990
- Disability Standards for Education – Disability Discrimination Act 1992
- National Vocational Education and Training Regulator Act 2011
- The ESOS Act and the National Code–The ESOS Act 2000 (Education Services for Overseas Students)
Important web sites:
Nothing contained in the provisions of ETEA prevents a student from exercising their rights to other legal remedies or obtaining advice from other authorities or agencies:
Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA)
Overseas Students Ombudsman
Ph: 1300 362 072
Fax: 02 6276 0123
The Law Institute of Victoria on or www.liv.asn.au for referral to a solicitor
Ph: (03) 9607 9311
Fax: (03) 9602 5270
Consumer Affairs Victoria
Phone: 03-96705088 or 03-96296898
The Australian government’s Department of Education and Department of Employment (DIISTRE)
The Equal Opportunity Commission Victoria
Phone: 9281 7100
The Education Services for Overseas Students, or ESOS Act, provides the regulatory requirements for education and training institutions offering courses to international students in Australia on a student visa. ESOS provides tuition protection for international students and has recently been amended following a review in 2009-10. Please follow the links below for more information.
Studying and Living in Australia:
Think Before You Travel, A Student Safety Initiative
Think Before you Swim
Think Before You Swim, important information for international students on swimming in Australia.
The purpose of the English entry requirement is to ensure that all international students at ETEA are able to complete their study successfully and to assist them while living in Australia studying.
ETEA has established an English benchmark for each course offered to international students and the requirement to study with ETEA is to have at least the equivalent of IELTS 5.5.
We acknowledge that students may have undertaken other forms of English study which will help them to demonstrate suitability to study at ETEA. Below are some of the options for demonstrating equivalence to ETEAs English requirements.
Demonstrating IELTS equivalence to an English as a second language (ESL) course
- Certificate I corresponds to IELTS 4.0
- Certificate II corresponds to IELTS 4.5
- Certificate III corresponds to IELTS 5.0
- Certificate IV corresponds to IELTS 5.5
- IELTS 5.0 + 11 weeks of English (ELICOS Course) correspondent to IELTS 5.5
- A student who has completed an IRON course with ETEA will be considered equivalent to IELTS 5.5 at ETEA.
Demonstrating previous study in English
Students who have studied in the following context may also be able to demonstrate their English equivalence to our courses for international students:
- Upper Intermediate (English for Academic Purposes) certificate from recognised English language centre
- Advanced English (English for Academic Purposes) certificate from recognised English language centre
- Senior Secondary Certificate of Education completed in Australia
- Certificate IV or higher completed in Australia
- Tertiary studies delivered in English
- Evidence of at least 5 years of studies in an English speaking country (e.g. Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Canada, United States of America, South Africa, Republic of Ireland)
General equivalence between different languages classification system
|English Language Tests for Student Visas|
|Test||Test Score Band|
|Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE)||32||36||41||47||52||58||67||74||80||87||93|
International students in Australia on a student visa are required, as a condition of their visa, to maintain valid health insurance known as Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).
It may be noted that overseas students need not subscribe to the Victorian Ambulance Service separately since the same is covered in your OSHC.
ETEA has an arrangement with Bupa private to organise OSHC on behalf of international students. For your convenience, if you would like us to arrange this for you, please indicate it on your application form.
For the current cost please visit Bupa